Friday, August 2, 2013

On Fridays, thunder

The streets are nearly deserted Friday mornings for prayers, but the sermons can be ear-splitting. Every couple of blocks you encounter something like this. The khatibs yell about a variety of subjects -- how you shouldn't mistreat animals (thanks; I was wondering about that), how on the day of reckoning, atheists' faces will turn black, etc. It seems odd to an outsider like me that the whole neighborhood should be subject to this bellowing, but public preaching is a fundamental feature of Islam. It's inescapable, even 150 feet below ground in the metro, where the city allows the teachings to be broadcast on the public-address system.

Friday.sermons from Sluggh McGee on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's so loud! I can only imagine how loud it is in person. I guess people get used to it ... But if you're used to it, then is it having the desired effect? Probably not. Sounds kinda like a circus announcer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or a science-fiction story about mind control. You make good points. This is not the Emirates or Saudi Arabia. I honestly think 50 percent of Cairo is sick of it but reluctant to say so. It's made me think a lot about my own country and how we tolerate not being able to buy beer before 10 a.m. on Sundays in my town, Indian reservations, etc. Stuff you take for granted but is fucking weird when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete